[Gllug] Oddity using Three USB modem under Linux

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Apr 24 10:56:22 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 17:38 +0100, John Winters wrote:
>> Anyone any idea why the difference, and what I might do to get a real IP
>> address when connecting from Linux?
>
> That's odd. I never noticed that when using 3 via my N95 under XP. I'm
> fairly sure it was always in the 10/8 range

I've investigated this further and discovered how to gain some control.

The instructions for connecting from a Mac say to use an APN of
"three.co.uk" so this is what I used from Linux.  Checking the setup
(created automatically) on a Windows box the APN was "3internet".  If you
use that one instead then you get a real IP address instead of a
10.xx.xx.xx address.

I've found some references on-line to different grades of service intended
for different purposes - from WAP to full Internet connectivity.

Anyway, if you want a real IP address when using Three then set you APN to
"3internet" instead of "three.co.uk".

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk