[Gllug] Symlink but with cow powers?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Apr 23 11:37:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:29:27PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> In order to make my life easier I'd like to have a single installation
> and then link to it for the site with things like configuration files,
> media files and caches being cow'd so that I can process updates to the
> single instance and know that all sites based upon it are updated
> safely.

I've no idea how joomla works but if it can be made to live on a
single partition then one option might be to use LVM snapshots.  Have
a single origin partition containing the "virgin" copy and mount
snapshots backed by smaller storage partitions which will contain just
the increments.  It's a bit heavyweight to manage something like this
however -- normally one might use snapshots backed by /dev/ram which
disappear on reboot (eg. how many live CDs work), but I guess that's
not an option for you.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones