[Gllug] Symlink but with cow powers?

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 23 11:29:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 01:24 +0100, - Tethys wrote:
> No, I'm not aware of anything like that, but what's the intended use?
> It sounds like you're wanting to do something like an incremental
> backup. If so, then consider using rsync and a tree of hard links,
> which should do what you want.

No not backups.

I am about to start working on a new project which will include
providing joomla (and other similar CMS or blog packages) instances to a
large number of charities who will only ever use them via the web
control panel.

In order to make my life easier I'd like to have a single installation
and then link to it for the site with things like configuration files,
media files and caches being cow'd so that I can process updates to the
single instance and know that all sites based upon it are updated
safely.

I have found a couple of attempts at doing something like this -
cowlinks which started in 2003/2004 as a kernel module but seems to have
faltered and fl-cow which is a LD_PRELOAD hack to implement it. The
latter would be almost perfect except it is too "hacky" for a production
environment and it is configured via environment variables which I don't
consider to be scalable.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk