[Gllug] Help!! XP CD copying problem to change linux partitions -

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Thu Apr 24 19:18:45 UTC 2008

Ah ha another comment I didn't spot at first... thanks Tim

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 07:46 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> Tet;s (somewhat terse !) advice sounds right on the nose to me.

Terse! Cryptic to this luser >;)
> Use:
> dd if=/dev/cd0 (or whatever the derive is called)
>    of=file-on-a-disc
>
> if this works then you have what I believe is referred to an ISO image of
> the filesystem on the CD

Should I specify that the file should be called an iso or is the file
type identifier automatically written, as in:

dd if=/dev/dc0 of=dellxp_sp2.iso ... where I write the "iso" bit in
manually?

And what does that do with the "unreadable" track 0 - read it bit by bit
anyway even if it isn't in any recognised file format??

> then use cdrecord

Once its an "iso" does it matter what application is used to burn the CD
rom blank? "Matter" as in critical - like if cdrecord does something
especially to the file it is writing to reproduce an exact image
different to other applications? Or will any cd writer do the job of
burning any iso. Once its an iso then it *is* and iso in other words,
and is acted upon accordingly.

Excuse the ignorance and such basic questions but I want to get this
straight in my head!

What, exactly, is "cloning" in K3B then? Is it utilising dd to do the
cloning assuming cloning is a bit by bit copy, just all dressed up in a
nice GUI interface that ignoramii like I adore, and when the disk writer
refused to support cloning according to K3B does that mean that Dell
have nobbled something so that dd or whatever won't write bit by bit
back to a rom blank when part of it is some sort of format that is not
recognised as a "standard" (i.e. something Microsoft have done to their
disks to screw things up)?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk