[Gllug] Help!! XP CD copying problem to change linux partiti

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 21:00:46 UTC 2008

Sorry, but my email reader does not allow me to tag replies onto your email
in the usual manner.

However, I don't think it matters what you call the output file when you use
dd.   The output file created should be an ISO image of the filesystem on the
CD, which you then use to write another CD with cdrecord.

The way CDs are generally written is that a filesystem image is created (or
in this case copied) as a disc file and then simply written to the CD in one
go.

Your first step should be to attempt to copy the CD onto a hard-disc image
file using 'dd'.    If this succeeds you will be able to use cdrecord to
write, effectively, a 'clone' of the original CD.  If dd fails because a
track on the CD is unreadable, ten you may well be stuck.   I suppose its
possible that Dell have deliberately created a CD with duff sectors, although
can't say I have encountered this.  I have a Dell XP reinstallation CD here
as it happens and that reads absolutely fine.   If the disc is scratched you
can often get it to read by polishing the surface very carefully with dilute
T-cut or something similar. I have used this technique succesfully on rented
film DVDs when they misbehave.

Hope this helps a bit.....

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk