[Gllug] Security from scratch or just stick with Astaro?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sun Apr 6 20:12:39 UTC 2008

Well I am now living in Crawley, however, oddly enough I expect I'll be
at the meetings more often.

I have been using Astaro Security Gateway product to do my system
security. I believe I can squeeze the latest version to run on the box I
have been using. PIII 450, 512 MB ram, 10GB HDD if I remember
correctly.

Unfortunately, it can run a bit slow when trying to administer it. So I
am hoping to learn a bit more and I figure setting up the security my
self should not be too hazardous to my health.

All my searches are turning up as 3-6 years old postings and I am
guessing that current favourites may have changed.

Currently I am looking at:
IPCop - http://ipcop.org/
Fedora - http://fedoraproject.org/
Fedora Security Live CD -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LukeMacken/SecurityLiveCD
redwall - http://www.redwall-firewall.com/
Astaro - https://www.astaro.com/our_products/astaro_security_gateway/

for the Astaro option I am also considering setting up a virtual machine
on a Fedora box.

Are any of these a bad route to take? Is one of these a better route
above the others listed? Is there a better route I should be
considering?

The purpose of the box will be blockade between my internal network and
my router. I want to be able to have some kind of web interface for at
least half of it and if logical have it updating automatically.

-Justin

--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk