[Gllug] Schools Software

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Apr 6 20:34:52 UTC 2008

M.Blackmore wrote:
[snip]
> The only thing they would have needed with Edubuntu is a decentish
> multicore server, if that, and a bunch of TFT monitors to replace the
> nasty old CRTs, along with a bunch of cordless optical mice and
> keyboards to avoid computer room spaghetti - anyway keyboards and meece
> are an expendable commodity in schools at the best of times but these
> were getting pretty miserable and being replaced like for like due to
> vendor lock in.

Agree with all the rest, but cordless keyboards and mice are pretty much
a no-no in classrooms because they will migrate around the room at a
ridiculous rate.  Imagine a room with twenty PCs and keyboards and the
fun of trying to match each keyboard with a system unit if there isn't a
bit of wire tying the two together.

Mind you, I have more than once found one of our pupils bashing away on
a keyboard and saying, "This computer isn't working sir!" when the only
possible response is, "What computer?"

> The base units could have stayed as they were with a bit more ram added,
> they were only about 4 years old, and thus perfectly capable of running
> pretty up to date software.

It does annoy me seeing some of this stuff get skipped, particularly
given the ludicrously low price of RAM these days.  Upgrading my wife's
laptop to 2G cost me thirty-mumble pounds, and that was for complete
replacement of the RAM.  The old 512M migrated to my son's laptop to
give him 1G.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk