[Gllug] ASUS Eee PC

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Apr 14 19:37:56 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 20:17 +0100, John Winters wrote:
>> I too think I'll wait and see how things pan out - there are too many
>> new
>> products on the horizon.  I'm going to buy myself a cheap mainstream
>> laptop for now and stick Lenny on it.
>
> I had an email from Dell last week offering their Vostro 1000 laptop for
> £169 plus carriage and VAT.

The trouble with Dell is they charge an exorbitant amount for shipping
(well, that and their crap customer service).  The last time I looked it
was £50 + VAT for shipping (!), and if you buy two machines you have to
pay two lots of shipping.

It's really just a way of making the prices look lower than they are.  The
Vostro is indeed listed on their web site at 169 + VAT, but it's really
219 + VAT for the minimum configuration - it's just that they've hived off
part of the price and called it "shipping".

It's tempting, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk a Dell.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk