[Gllug] Server management query

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Wed Apr 23 10:42:35 UTC 2008

David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> I notice other comments on the list about spam levels, and have been
> feeling a bit overwhelmed myself. Have ended up shutting off 'catch-all'
> addresses on certain of my domains, but I notice that a weight of spam
> arrives at what I would call required-addresses, eg
> PostMaster@
> WebMaster@
> Abuse@

For my personal domain only three addresses work, and none of the ones
above are those.  My whois information is accurate so if anyone really
needs to report abuse they can do so directly to me.

For company domains, I would keep the RFC-recommended accounts valid and
read by a human.  I would however put them behind a decent spam
filtering system[0]

Spammers are generally smart enough to avoid emailing abuse@, and
generally speaking, most companies are atrocious at replying to mail
sent to abuse@

[0]  http://www.antibodymx.net/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk