[Gllug] Schools Software

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 15:24:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 11:52 +0100, George wrote:

> Hi,
>  that is certainly true of my 2 daughter's schools, there is a swing going on
> toward Macs.
>  The afterschool club has a Linux based firewall & a server but the
> workstations run Windoze by request of the users, simply because of their
> exposure thro out to Windoze.
>
>  Having talked to both the old Principal & the new one I found they are
> covered by what ever the local council has signed up for by way of computer
> support companies.
>
>  I talked to the support company manager, who I met by accident, I got this
> comment why mix the pot & make life difficult, windoze "techs" are a dime a
> dozen a Linux tech (if could be found in our area (west London !) would ask
> for more than the manager's salary

My brother has just done server and workstation installations in three
Spanish schools.  Edubuntu seems to be the choice.

English schools appear to have a vendor lock-in to "Research Machines".
RM generally sell very overpriced Windoze-based rubbish (they were the
last company in Europe to still stock an 80186-based machine!).
Apparently, RM are now selling the Asus Eee for schools use (at a vastly
inflated priice), with the Xandros OS left intact!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk