[Gllug] Schools Software

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sun Apr 6 20:05:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 16:24 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> RM are now selling the Asus Eee for schools use (at a vastly
> inflated priice),

What sort of inflation is that?

Relevant 'cos it came up in mention at my daughter's school, who've just
wasted a huge amount on re-equipping with Vista capable machines due to
naivety of the School Association who helped stump up most of the
money.

I suspect the only "outside" (of specific vendors' tendering )IT advice
they get is from a couple of parents who depend for a living on people
being locked into the "computer has broken down" so "we need to call a
tekkie to fix it"... aka reinstall it... Crooks Charter to print money
from institutions.

Which crooks charter is what the whole Windows "foodchain" business
model basically is.

The only thing they would have needed with Edubuntu is a decentish
multicore server, if that, and a bunch of TFT monitors to replace the
nasty old CRTs, along with a bunch of cordless optical mice and
keyboards to avoid computer room spaghetti - anyway keyboards and meece
are an expendable commodity in schools at the best of times but these
were getting pretty miserable and being replaced like for like due to
vendor lock in.

The base units could have stayed as they were with a bit more ram added,
they were only about 4 years old, and thus perfectly capable of running
pretty up to date software.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk