[Gllug] Symlink but with cow powers?

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 00:24:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Is anyone aware of anything like a symlink but with copy on write type
>  ability such as would allow me to symlink a directory but have some of
>  the contents be writable locally (rather than at the link destination)?
>
>  I know I could do something like unionfs but I want a solution that
>  allows for thousands of such links and I don't fancy the idea of so many
>  mounts.

No, I'm not aware of anything like that, but what's the intended use?
It sounds like you're wanting to do something like an incremental
backup. If so, then consider using rsync and a tree of hard links,
which should do what you want.

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Tet

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk