[Gllug] ASUS Eee PC

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Apr 15 08:01:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 13:55 +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm thinking of getting one of these for work away from home
> or office.  Anyone used this box for serious work?

Yup.
As I go on site a lot to configure very big systems, I take the eee PC
with me.
I used it the other day to set up a big parallel storage array - all I
needed was an ethernet connection and a web browser.

I also carry a small USB hard drive around with me - as a for instance I
downloaded the CVS source tree for the Sun Gridengine batch system,
which I thought I would need last night to install onto an Itanium
system on a site without a direct internet connection.

So yes, its just great for work like that.

If you Google for the eeePC Wiki, there are a couple of Firefox and
Thunderbid themes which save a lot of screen real-estate, and make them
I think a lot more usable.
One is the Tiny Menu (I think) theme which collapses the "File Edit View
History...." into one oull-down menu.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk