[Gllug] UKUUG Press Release -- UKUUG seeks legal advice on BSI's OOXML decision

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 20:54:32 UTC 2008

This is important for users of free software. Please distribute widely.

******

Press Release -- Tuesday 8 April 2008

Last week the BSI (The British Standards Institution) decided to approve the
fast tracking of the Microsoft sponsored OOXML format (DIS29500).

UKUUG is concerned that this decision is against the public interest for several reasons:

*  The current draft attracted over 1000 unique comments (i.e.  corrections), of
   which the largest list (635) was from the BSI itself.  How does the BSI then
   approve fast-tracking, in the absence of a revised draft?

*  Accepting an unfinished draft into the fast track standards route can only
   serve to harm the sector to which the standard will apply, as well as
   undermining wider faith in the standards bodies who are allowing this to happen.

*  Given the absence of a single implementation of the standard (Not even
   Microsoft are willing to state when they'll implement it) it seems hard to
   justify the fast tracking on the basis of urgent market need.

*  Rejection of the Fast-track is not rejection of the standard.  If this
   standard were put on the slow track, there would then be time for all involved
   to examine the 6000+ pages in the detail that such an important standard needs
   if we are to rely on it into the future.

*  To be fast-tracked a proposed standard needs a high level of consensus, whereas
   OOXML has been marked by high levels of controversy.

That being the case, the UKUUG is seeking legal advice on how best to proceed in
order to convince the BSI to reconsider its decision and instead raise an
objection to the fast-tracking of the standard within the 2 month window allowed
by the ISO.

Alain Williams, Chairman of UKUUG, said:

    "We are very disappointed that BSI has chosen to take this decision against
    the advice of its technical committee.  The format used for storage of documents
    will affect our lives for decades to come, and it is imperative that standards
    such as OOXML are given a rigorous review rather than being rubber-stamped by
    the BSI.  Where would we be if the original Magna Carta was unreadable ?"

Previous proprietary document formats have become difficult or impossible to
read within little more than a decade.  There is no reason to believe this trend
will not continue if allowed so to do.  Without open standards for our documents
we are likely to inflict a 'digital dark-ages' on our descendants when they
discover that they are unable to read any of the sources for their history, such
as Government records, acts of Parliament, property title deeds, scientific
research papers, and family histories.  They will not forgive us if we fail to
act to protect them now, but instead allow another generation of poorly
specified proprietary standards are allowed to become widely adopted.

UKUUG calls on all that share our dissatisfaction with the BSI, to join us in an
effort to save them from their folly, and so ensure that lasting harm is averted.

-- ENDS --

Editor's Notes:

  UKUUG is the UK's Open Systems User Group, for people who care about open IT
  standards and the systems that implement them.  UKUUG promotes education and
  understanding through its newsletter, regular briefings and conferences.  It is
  independent of any industry groupings and not-for-profit.  It values
  intelligence, thoughtfulness and long-term thinking rather than immediacy and
  froth.

  BSI: Since its foundation in 1901 as the Engineering Standards Committee, BSI
  Group has grown into a leading global independent business services
  organization.  The Group now operates globally through its three divisions: BSI
  British Standards, BSI Management Systems and BSI Product Services.

  For further information about UKUUG visit:
	http://www.ukuug.org/
	Tel: 01763 273475

  For an overview of the story behind this visit:
	http://tinyurl.com/2r3bkw

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/