[Gllug] Vigen MPC-L for home server (was: Re: Asus EeePC 701 on offer from Expansys again)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Aug 25 16:56:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 03:13:58PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> The Eee uses a Celeron-M underclocked to 630MHz, versus a 400MHz Geode
> in the MPC-L. If you can tell the difference outside of benchmarks,
> I'd be surprised.
>
> You'll be able to do software RAID5 across a pile of USB disks and
> still have plenty of CPU left over.

I had a pretty similar idea for building a home storage & backup
server.  The advantage of using USB disks is easy and flexible
capacity upgrades.  The obvious disadvantage is you'd need 1 + #disks
wall-warts which could be inefficient.

The Viglen appears to have 4 x USB 2.0 ports, so assuming it doesn't
require a keyboard to be connected continuously, that means it could
comfortably take 4 disks.  The website is rather light on details such
as whether the 4 USB ports can be driven at full speed at the same
time.  According to the lspci output posted by Jon Fautley to this
list a few weeks ago, the machine has both USB 1.1 & USB 2.0
controllers inside.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones