[Gllug] Selective SSH logins

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 04:24:54 UTC 2008

On 26 Aug 2008, tethys at gmail.com said:
> Sigh. I do wish people would stop perpetuating the myth that key
> authenticated logins are more secure than password authenticated ones.
> If anything, the opposite is true.

If they're passphrased and an agent is running, I'm not so sure. The
key's useless when stolen because you don't have the passphrase, and you
can't get the passphrase unless you can compromise the machine running
the agent (which *does*, as a consequence, have to be secure, but a
keysniffer can steal passwords just as well).

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk