[Gllug] Early Christmas

Don Williams don at rose963.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 10:47:47 UTC 2008

Hi there Glluggers, after a summer of installing Debian a few times and
a few other distros, all with enjoyment and a savage rattling of my aged
brain cells, my SWMBO has said "go choose" a new bit of desktop kit.
Early Crimbo! Many times in the past this forum has guided me well - so
how about now?
	I want: a reasonably well-built bit of kit, c£350-550,
with a ginormous hard drive making it easy (for me) to have a couple of
distros up and running, but arriving with Debian 5 or the current Ubuntu
ready installed;
with good up-to-date graphics - NOT for gaming (fingers too old'ncrabby
for that) but much playing with Gimp and Scribus and scanning and
photographs, all to appear on a nice large screen (20-inch?);
with (hopefully) a working Gnash;
with over five USB ports (for scanner, printer, zip drive, skype 'phone
et al;
and most seriously, any recommendations/criticisms from your
so-much-younger brain cells (bow, scrape, scrape).
	I have looked at HP and was pretty well put off by its site's
insistence on implementing Flash, saw OpenForEveryone (and its 8.10.2
Desktop PC for £315 - any reportage/experience?) and then thought oooh
yeah, the Glluggers! So, this request ...
	If I offend by this screed, first my apologies and second, feel free to
suggest I depart in short jerky movements.
	Respectfully, Don Williams

Microsoft sells you Windows - Linux gives you the whole house ...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk