[Gllug] LVM and /dev/sdc vs /dev/sdc1

David Coles david at disintegration.org
Thu Aug 28 14:56:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Alain Williams wrote:

> I recently put in a new (SATA) disk - to be partitioned under the Linux LVM.
>
> Out of force of habit I partitioned the disk, put everything into /dev/sdc1
> and gave it to the LVM. Is there any virtue in doing this rather than
> giving LVM /dev/sdc -- and thus giving myself an extra block or so by not
> having the partition table ?

What's the point of saving an extra block or two when some OS,
partitioning software or yourself may get confused and mess up your PV?
The LVM HOWTO recommends against it
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/LVM-HOWTO/#initdisks).

Also, if it's in a partition you can always pvresize, repatition and add
another partition/PV later should you find any need to do so.

--
David
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk