[Gllug] Is my cheapo router really caching DNS?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 08:27:49 UTC 2008

On Sun 31 Aug, t.clarke wrote:

> There are apparently at least two flavours of ADSL around at the moment.
> The type mainly on offer its seems is the ADSL-max service at 'up to' 8Mbps,
> which uses some fancy dynamic protocol which adjusts the raw speed according to
> the line length/condition (and can, in my experience, vary from day to day).
>

> The lower speed ADSL seems to still be available, which I believe is a fixed
> raw speed.
> ADSL2+ or whatever is being rolled out in some places at up to 24Mbps, but I
> wouldn't hold yr breath unless you are very close to an Exchange!
>
> A quyick google seems to indicate that there are 3 main modulation schemes
> in use giving up to 8,12 and 24 Mbps respectively.
>
> Your ISP tech support should be able to tell you what speed your exchange line
> is theoretically capable of supporting. ADSLmax should then be able to supply
> a raw connection speed around or approaching that figure.  Whether or not the
> type ADSL chipset in your router makes any difference I have no idea - but I
> have seen claims that the TI AR7 chipset copes better with longer lines than
> some others.

   Most ADSL routers are specified as up to 8Mbps, and may lock slightly
below 8Mbps. My HiPoint router uses the TI mchipset and is specified as
ADSL2+ capable, up to 24Mbps. It sits permanently locked at 8132Kbps, but
unfortunately that does not describe the real transfer rate during the day.
It does have an amazing array of functions, not sure about this one but I
understand that there is extensive use of Linux on RISC.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk