[Gllug] Wanted.. a broken Canon Pixma inkjet printer (well its power supply)

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Aug 13 14:54:56 UTC 2008

A little bit of a slightly off-topic/annoying/unusual problem

I've just returned from the US with a Canon Pixma ip6700d printer. I sadly
neglected to check that it had a power supply that would accept 240v :-(
Even more annoying is that the PSU is not one of the external power bricks
I can easily replace with a 3rd party unit - it is built-in to the printer
itself. On the plus side, undo a few clips and the power supply is easily
removable from the printer and like so:

  http://berrange.com/~dan/printer/img_1080.jpeg
  http://berrange.com/~dan/printer/img_1076.jpeg
  http://berrange.com/~dan/printer/img_1072.jpeg

The PSU is labelled part K30-255, input 110v, output 32v, 24v

Canon's service center have offered to perform price gouging and sell me
a replacement for 50 GBP which I declined, since that's more than 50% of
the value of the whole printer. I'd rather not consign a perfectly good
printer to a landfill site, so I'm trying to find a broken Canon Pixma
printer I can salvage a power supply from. Failing that I might try a
voltage convertor. Any other ideas / suggestions for a good place to find
cheap/broken printers for parts besides places like eBay, or  even by
some miracle is there someone with a suitably broken Canon printer.... :-)

Yes I could just buy a new printer, and yes I'll spend more on ink than
this in a few months, but its for the principle of not throwing away
otherwise working equipment !

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|