[Gllug] LVM and /dev/sdc vs /dev/sdc1

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Aug 28 14:15:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 02:40:10PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> I recently put in a new (SATA) disk - to be partitioned under the Linux LVM.
>
> Out of force of habit I partitioned the disk, put everything into /dev/sdc1
> and gave it to the LVM. Is there any virtue in doing this rather than
> giving LVM /dev/sdc -- and thus giving myself an extra block or so by not
> having the partition table ?

You can use the whole disk, but I prefer not too because it can surprise
people who aren't expecting it. They'll see a big unpartitioned disk and
think it is unused :-) At least if you have a single partition marked LVM
it is clear that it is allocated to some purpose.

Also, note you must ensure you blank out the first sector before using
pvcreate on a whole disk, otherwise LVM can get really confused about
things.

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|