[Gllug] Suggestion about Network Monitoring software - Open source/Free

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 11:30:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:36:54AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:26:32AM +0100, - Tethys wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Iain M Conochie <iain at shihad.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Also IMHO do not touch nagios with a barge pole :)
> >
> > Seconded. It's amazingly capable, but the web interface is ugly and
> > wasteful of screen real estate, and the whole thing is a nightmare to
> > configure. To the point where it's essentially unconfigurable for mere
> > mortals.
>
> +1, unfortunately. I use it, but it takes time.
>
> Has anyone used nagios 3, is it better ?

The only new feature that I use in nagios 3 so far is that services can
"inherit" the contact_groups from the host declaration so you can do
something like the following and the emails go to the right people.

define hostgroup {
  hostgroup_name  postgresql-group
  members         foo1, foo2, foo3, foo4
}
define service {
  use                   default-service
  service_description   pg_connections
  hostgroup_name        postgresql-group
  servicegroups         postgresql, databases
  check_command         check_with_gmond!pg_connections!100!170
}

I never thought that nagios is hard to configure but maybe I am not
pushing it as hard as other people do.

Kostas
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk