[Gllug] Selective SSH logins

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Aug 28 10:55:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:46:10AM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
[...]
> Yes but if my bank is quite happy with a 4 digit numeric pin, whats the
> problem with a 7 digit alpha numeric number plate. Just how many people
> use a bank pin thats is infact there birthday etc....

Your bank will suspend the card if the wrong PIN is entered three times in a
row, so you have a 3 in 10,000 chance of guessing it. Most websites will
happily let you bang away indefinitely. I could test 10,000 passwords within
a few minutes.

> As for websites that need passwords but don't justify it I think the most
> common password is either qwerty or abcdefg......

I don't like them quite *that* weak and guessable. There's still a fairly
large search space for car number plates.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk