[Gllug] (OT) Early Christmas

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 21:29:48 UTC 2008

I am possibly biased, but my limited experience with the few Dell machines we
have is that they are a pain in the A*** when things go at all awry.

One of our staff has a Dell machine that simply refuses to recognise a USB
stick, despite numerous attempts to reinstall various drivers and chipset
'upgrades'.  Another Dell machine has an iffy NIC thats drops connections
when it feels like it.  Another has a floppy drive that won't read floppies
written by any other machine I have tried.

Give me good old 'generic' quality hardware any time.  Building your own
most likely doesn't save any money the way it used to, but at least you know
what you are getting and upgrading or replacing any broken bits is possible.

Even replacing a duff PSU on some proprietary systems (havn't had to yet on any
Dells BTW) can prove a nightmare as they are 'non standard'.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk