[Gllug] Man pages with different character sets?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Dec 22 16:54:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 02:34:12PM +0000, Lesley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a somewehat annoying little problem.
>
> My apt-get man page displays perfectly over an ssh connection ( using
> putty from an XP box).
>
> The aptitude man page doesn't.
> The Name, Synopsis and Description sections display
> okay but, in the Command Line Actions section, I get stuff like
> \fBinstall\fR, <package>\fB+\fR etc which makes it very difficult to
> read.  Is there a fix for this?

If the initial sections are fine then this suggests that the page has
been partially parsed and partially not.  It's possible that man has
cached a malformed expansion of the page.  Try blowing away the contents
of /var/cache/man (or whatever your distro uses) and see if it fixes it.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill