[Gllug] Man pages with different character sets?

Lesley Binks lesleyb at pgcroft.net
Mon Dec 22 17:31:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 04:54:52PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 02:34:12PM +0000, Lesley wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a somewehat annoying little problem.
> >
> > My apt-get man page displays perfectly over an ssh connection ( using
> > putty from an XP box).
> >
> > The aptitude man page doesn't.
> > The Name, Synopsis and Description sections display
> > okay but, in the Command Line Actions section, I get stuff like
> > \fBinstall\fR, <package>\fB+\fR etc which makes it very difficult to
> > read.  Is there a fix for this?
>
> If the initial sections are fine then this suggests that the page has
> been partially parsed and partially not.  It's possible that man has
> cached a malformed expansion of the page.  Try blowing away the contents
> of /var/cache/man (or whatever your distro uses) and see if it fixes it.

Unfortunately that didn't do in either

I looked at the file contents
Preceding the Command-Line Arguments Section the markup is, for example :
\fBaptitude\fR

In the Command-Line Arguments section the markup becomes :
'The first argument which does not begin with a hyphen (\(lq\efB\-\efR\(rq) is considered to be an action that .. '

After gunzipping the file the erroneous markup still exists

Regards

L.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk