[Gllug] How to handle spam bounces from secondary MX server

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 14:32:39 UTC 2008

2008/12/8 Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 12:54:21PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
<snip>
>> It is a good idea because there are some crappy MTAs that bounce mail
>> after a very short time if they can't get through -- which could happen if
>> your main MX is offline for whatever reason.
>
> This is the usual argument against greylisting too, but I remain unconvinced
> there either. Are there really that many sites using fundamentally broken
> mail software that mostly works by chance, and which you absolutely must
> receive every mail from? I doubt it.

the argument against greylisting may be valid. Or to be more exact a
backup MX can become a workaround if it doesn't also have greylisting
running.

A client of mine encountered this. Their host (BYtemark) were offering
a free backup MX whish was great. When we started using greylistd on
the primary MX, the spam via cracked/trial mail accounts (as opposed
to bots) often got around it because the backup MX didn't have
greylisting and of course the backup MX was pretty quickly whitelisted
by our primary one.

As Martin said, the secondary MX must be set up in the same way as the
primary or it will defeat your anti-malware/spam measures.

--
Ryan Cartwright
Equitas IT Solutions
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk