[Gllug] How to handle spam bounces from secondary MX server

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Dec 8 14:25:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 12:41:06PM +0000, Martin wrote:

> Your secondary MX needs to be set up in exactly the same way as your
> primary.

Not really.  I don't want to waste much time on my secondary, I just
want insurance in case my primary fails.  So my secondary is very simply
configured:

  1.  It does greylisting.  I don't like having greylisting on my
primary but it doesn't bother me to have it on the secondary since this
will normally not delay any genuine mail.

  2.  As long as my primary is up, It does smtp call forwarding and
rejects any sender/recipient combinations that my primary would reject.

And that's it, essentially.  No spamassassin, not even any of the bogus
HELO checks that my primary does, and yet I almost never see spam coming
in via my secondary.  Unless my primary has been down, of course, when I
see some queuing up on the secondary, but I don't mind that as the
occasional price of having a very simply maintained secondary.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin