[Gllug] repeat soft noise from hard drive

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Dec 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:40:17PM +0000, Diana Scott wrote:
[...]
> I am going to replace the hard drive and the specification is
> 2.5’’, UltraDMA 100, S.M.A.R.T 9.5mmH . When I
> looked up in maplin and it has SATA or ATA. Which one do you think my
> drive is ?

UDMA 100 implies that it's bog standard parallel ATA.

It's probably worth opening the machine up to extract the old drive to
double-check, as you'll need to do so anyway to fit a new drive.

The sweet spot seems to be 160GB for about forty quid, according to my usual
online boxshifter. Craplins will probably charge you substantially more than
that. Try the TCR computer fairs on Saturday if you don't want to mail-order.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk