[Gllug] repeat soft noise from hard drive

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:08:06 UTC 2008

I know this is an old war story, so apologies in advance for boring
everyone.

When I worked at St Thomas Hospital I once heard some strange noises coming
from a Sun workstation disk. As this workstation controlled a brain scanner
I was a bit concerned. I borrowed a doctors stethescope and proceeded to
conduct a grand rounds, with this poor Sparcstation as prime patient.

Fair dos to Sun, they dispatched an engineer with a fresh drive. He had a
good technique for replacing the drive - put the new one in, booted up to
open firmware and ran a 'dd' from old drive to new drive. Swap new drive
into place and we're off and running.
You can do the same drive cloning trick in Linux if you boot off a Knoppix
CD or USB stick.
But remember kiddies - this only works if you have two drives of the same
model (or you are dead certain the drives have the same geometry).