[Gllug] Duo Core processor 4Gb Ram laptop

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Sat Dec 27 23:26:15 UTC 2008

Diana Scott wrote:
> I wonder what activities a laptop
> with Duo Core or Centrino 2 with 4 Gb ram can achieve where a laptop
> with Centrino (Pentium M) 1.7Ghz with 2Gb ram with Ubuntu 8.10 cannot do
> equally as good, given the same knowledge for both laptops.

I have a Sony Vaio latptop of simiar spec. to the one you mention (2
GHz, Centrino, single core) and I have after comparing it with the
current equivalent model (which we sell - and which is Dual Core) not
found it worth while to change it before its end of life.

In normal laptop use, having an extra core will make little difference.
  There are areas where it helps: primarily (surprise) multi-tasking,
which I find most evident when switching to another application while
leaving some procedure to complete. A dual or more core machine is more
responsive in the user interface when loaded.

On the other hand, the difference is not huge.

There *are* some big advantages to the recent multiple-core laptop
machines, as follows:

- capability to run 64-bit code and so efficiently use more than 3.5 GB
or so of RAM

- full hardware Virtual Machine support so better capacity to run these

- better power efficiency

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk