[Gllug] bar code scanner software for linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Dec 28 12:07:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 11:39:49PM +0000, Justin Perreault wrote:
> Any direction will help. Internet searching is not helping me so maybe
> better search words than; linux bar code scanner reader.

As others have said, all barcode scanners I've seen have pretended to
be keyboard devices, so didn't need any special drivers / software.
What would be useful in this case is for you to plug the scanner into
a USB port, and then try searching for the USB device code (use
'dmesg' and/or 'lsusb' commands to show this when the device is
attached).  It will look like a pair of four digit hex numbers
separated by a colon, eg. '012f:abcd'.

That will also tell you if the kernel has any idea about the device.
Although 'any idea' may range from nothing at all, to just knowing the
matching device string, to activating the compatible driver.  You'll
have to plug it in to find out.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones