[Gllug] repeat soft noise from hard drive

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 10 14:01:50 UTC 2008

2008/12/10 John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com>:
> I know this is an old war story, so apologies in advance for boring
> everyone.
>
> When I worked at St Thomas Hospital I once heard some strange noises coming
> from a Sun workstation disk. As this workstation controlled a brain scanner
> I was a bit concerned. I borrowed a doctors stethescope and proceeded to
> conduct a grand rounds, with this poor Sparcstation as prime patient.
>
> Fair dos to Sun, they dispatched an engineer with a fresh drive. He had a
> good technique for replacing the drive - put the new one in, booted up to
> open firmware and ran a 'dd' from old drive to new drive. Swap new drive
> into place and we're off and running.
> You can do the same drive cloning trick in Linux if you boot off a Knoppix
> CD or USB stick.
> But remember kiddies - this only works if you have two drives of the same
> model (or you are dead certain the drives have the same geometry).
> --

The dd technique was (is?) widely used with Sun's stuff (as you  may
or may not know, they normally support a very precise range of disks
so support tasks are predictable).  I personally installed hundreds of
machines like that, many moons ago I have to add :-)

There is nothing stopping this in Linux, but normally what happens is
that, since there is no nanny company dictating disk sizes supported,
by the time you need to replace a disk the ones available are much
bigger and you are unlikely to find one identical to the one close to
collapsing, snd most likely you won't want to anyway.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk