[Gllug] Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!! I need a working ISP

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 11:38:37 UTC 2008

I know we've been through this before, but I need some recommendations
for an ISP. I need:

1. Telephone technical support (email only is not good enough)
2. Technical support out of working hours. The times I tend to notice
   things breaking are when I'm at home and using the service,
   not when I'm at work. Ideally, the support would be 24x7, but
   I could cope with at least being open late at night during the
   week. Being open at weekends is a must. I've been without
   email this weekend, and there's nothing I could do about it.
   I have had the same problem when my connectivity has
   gone down in the past (sadly all too common these days)
3. 8Mb/s -- faster would be good, but it's not necessary
4. Sensibly priced for around 20GB usage/month
5. Nothing whatsoever to do with Tiscali
6. Multiple static IP addresses. At the moment I have a /28, which is fine
7. No firewalling, filtering or other tampering with my traffic

I don't need DNS, web space or email. After having too many bad
experiences elsewhere, I'll be doing all of that myself. All I'm
looking for is connectivity. Nor do I need VoIP, bundled TV or
telephone or any other "value added" products or services.

>From memory, the usual culprits mentioned around these parts are
UKFSN, Nildram, Zen, Plusnet, Eclipse and A&A, but all of them seem to
fall down on at least one of those requirements. My current ISP (F2S)
meets them all, except for #5, which has been recently added due to
their quite astounding levels of ineptitude (Tiscali now own F2S). Any
suggestions on where I should be looking?

Tet

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk