[Gllug] Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!! I need a working ISP

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Mon Dec 29 20:34:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Justin Perreault
<justinperreault at dl-jp.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 11:38 +0000, - Tethys wrote:
>> I know we've been through this before, but I need some recommendations
>> for an ISP. I need:
>
> Be has been excellent if they are in your area I recommend them.
> https://www.bethere.co.uk/broadbandoffice.do

I'm using Be and I have to say I wouldn't recommend them at all. They
are cheap and very fast but there are two serious problems with their
service for me...

Firstly.. I ordered 8 static IPs, expecting to receive a contiguous
/27; NOPE! I got 8 random static IPs. I'm not even sure what I'm
supposed to do with them as the router they gave me doesn't obviously
have support for more than one.

In any case to actually make use of these IPs I would have to NAT my network.

Secondly they subscribe to the Internet Watch Foundation's banlist
which caused them to start diverting all port 80 traffic to
wikipedia's IPs to be hijacked by a malicious squid proxy that blocked
access to this page;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Killer

I will probably switch to someone else when my contract expires.

Rob.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk