[Gllug] Diagnosing a network error - was Powerline homeplug experiences

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Sat Dec 13 17:39:34 UTC 2008

This discussion reminded me that my kids had been complaining they got a
poor network connection on their windows box - so much so that they
wanted to use the Linux machines, which is pretty much unheard of.

I thought it was the issue of the momeplug adapter stuck on an extension
- because last time I tested the problem it was a slower connection but
not too bad.

So I thought I'd make the effort to get their powerline connection into
a wall socket - which I did. I then discovered that 80% or more packets
were being dropped.

I updated the Windows driver - made no difference. Tested the machine
with Knoppix - just the same.

I then thought maybe I ought to have the other end connected into the
switch on a crossover and not a patch cable. Bought a crossover, tested
it and thought I'd fixed it (only 2% packet loss on first 100 pings),
only to have the performance then collapse (50% packet loss on the next
100).

So it seems to be either some sort of hardware failure or something to
do with the way the domestic electricity circuits work - but given that
things have clearly gone downhill it looks like hardware and probably
one of the homeplug connections.

(Ping testing also gives a lot of duplicate packets being returned)

Any ideas as to how I could test this further or what I might have
missed?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk