[Gllug] Powerline homeplug experiences

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Fri Dec 12 23:50:43 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> - How 'Linux' compatible are they ? Would I be able to setup passwords
> etc without the need of a Windows machine ?

We have used these extensively with similar logic and outcomes to those
expressed by Alastair Mann. A very useful device in the toolbox for
installation problems.

> - Do they really run at advertised speeds ? 40Mbps is quite ok for me,
> but does it really run at 40Mbps.

They do not IME reach advertised speeds but do reach usable speed (say
max 60-80% of quoted throughput).

They do not work well with extension sockets of any kind, and
(obviously) not through filtered outlets or UPS. Best direct to the wall
socket.

We have tested and found that at the frequencies used, the meter
assembly (not the fusebox :) gives some 40-70dB of attenuation. Of
course, this could easily by bypassed but we have not tested that.

A point to note: there are various generally incompatible standards, and
some makes will not talk to each other even if nominally on the same
standard.

Most of them have a requirement for a Windows PC to run a Windows exec
for encryption setup, used once only.

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk