[Gllug] convert ntfs to fat32

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:56:51 UTC 2008

2008/12/15 Diana Scott <dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk>:
> I don't know which package to format the ntfs into a fat32 format in ubuntu
> 8.10 ?

You don't need a package for that, all what you need seems to be
already in place (this is true for FAT32 file systems, NTFS used to be
more problematic, I quick look in my own machine shows all the tools
one would apparently need).

> Is it advisable to use Dolphin 1.1 in ubuntu as file browser ?

I don't see why not. Somebody else mentioned that it is not the best
option, but if it works for you and you don't see any appreciable
problems I would not rule this or any other out (I am even more
dogmatic than others, I use the command line exclusively to handle
files, but that is a professional bias more than a thoughtful decision
:-) ).

> Please advise.
>
> Diana
>
>> From: dylan at dylan.me.uk
>> To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
>> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:50:06 +0000
>> Subject: Re: [Gllug] convert ntfs to fat32
>>
>> On Monday 15 December 2008, Diana Scott wrote:
>> > How do you convert a windows ntfs partition to a fat32 format?
>> >
>> > Please advise.
>>
>> Backup, reformat, restore.

Backup and restore should normally be as simple as copying to and from
another disk or media, please let the list know if you require further
advice regarding this.

Now identify the device name of your NTFS partition, use the df
command in a console terminal for this.

Once you have your data safe:

unmount your NTFS partition

sudo umount /mount_point

then instate the FAT32 system in your partition:

sudo mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hdxx

where /dev/hdxx is the name of your former NTFS device.

and remount

sudo mount  /mount_point

You will need to correct the respective entry in the /etc/fstab file
to reflect the type of filesystem if you want to mount it at boot
time, if the filesystem is in a removable drive then it should be
recognized automatically when you plug it to your computer.

If somebody else is using a graphic tool for all this I am sure swift
commentary will follow.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk