[Gllug] convert ntfs to fat32

Diana Scott dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 21:11:07 UTC 2008

I have noticed that Nautilus 2.24.1 in Ubuntu 8.10 can read and create folders in the ntfs partition and the Word Processor of Open Office 2.4 can write to the ntfs partition. What are the advantages for using fat32 over ntfs partitions?

Please advise.

Diana

> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:56:51 +0000
> From: jjllmmss at googlemail.com
> To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] convert ntfs to fat32
>
> 2008/12/15 Diana Scott <dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk>:
> > I don't know which package to format the ntfs into a fat32 format in ubuntu
> > 8.10 ?
>
> You don't need a package for that, all what you need seems to be
> already in place (this is true for FAT32 file systems, NTFS used to be
> more problematic, I quick look in my own machine shows all the tools
> one would apparently need).
>

> > Is it advisable to use Dolphin 1.1 in ubuntu as file browser ?
>
> I don't see why not. Somebody else mentioned that it is not the best
> option, but if it works for you and you don't see any appreciable
> problems I would not rule this or any other out (I am even more
> dogmatic than others, I use the command line exclusively to handle
> files, but that is a professional bias more than a thoughtful decision
> :-) ).
>

> > Please advise.
> >
> > Diana
> >
> >> From: dylan at dylan.me.uk
> >> To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
> >> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:50:06 +0000
> >> Subject: Re: [Gllug] convert ntfs to fat32

> >> Backup, reformat, restore.
>
> Backup and restore should normally be as simple as copying to and from
> another disk or media, please let the list know if you require further
> advice regarding this.
>
> Now identify the device name of your NTFS partition, use the df
> command in a console terminal for this.
>
> Once you have your data safe:
>
> unmount your NTFS partition
>
> sudo umount /mount_point
>
> then instate the FAT32 system in your partition:
>
> sudo mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hdxx
>
> where /dev/hdxx is the name of your former NTFS device.
>
> and remount
>
> sudo mount  /mount_point
>
> You will need to correct the respective entry in the /etc/fstab file
> to reflect the type of filesystem if you want to mount it at boot
> time, if the filesystem is in a removable drive then it should be
> recognized automatically when you plug it to your computer.
>
> If somebody else is using a graphic tool for all this I am sure swift
> commentary will follow.
> --

Get a bird’s eye view of the world with Multimap
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/115454059/direct/01/