[Gllug] Powerline homeplug experiences

Damion Yates damion at trap.me.uk
Sat Dec 13 02:24:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Alistair Mann wrote:

> Alistair Mann wrote:
> >
> > Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > >
> > > Just wondering if anyone uses / has used powerline homeplug kit
> > > and what their experience was ?
> > >
> > > - How 'Linux' compatible are they ? Would I be able to setup
> > > passwords etc without the need of a Windows machine ?
> > >
> > > - Do they really run at advertised speeds ? 40Mbps is quite ok for
> > > me, but does it really run at 40Mbps.

I think it's more like 70Mb/sec they claim.

> > I've installed several dozen houses with these.
>
> Following myself up, Devolo say they now support Linux for password
> setting via the dlan package:
> http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/presse/2004-05-11-106.html

I believe this is the brand I have, the utility didn't compile out of
the box, but with some faffing I got it to compile and it worked fine.
I think it'll support FreeBSD etc too.  Then again as the devices won't
work outside your mains circuit you don't really have to bother.

I got them as I can't get a reliable wifi connection at the top of my
house.  brought these devices.  I am seeing a 2-3ms increase in ping
times compared to wifi (1-2ms) and as I have almost all devices off one
hub upstairs I'm tempted to run a wire to shave ~4ms off my ping times.
Then again that would involve drilling and stuff so I'll probably stick
with these for years.

I think I get roughly the claimed throughput, but as my adsl is much
lower than this and most stuff is on one hub, it isn't vital to me.  So
I don't think I've benchmarked highest speeds.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk