[Gllug] While we're on the subject of racks

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Mon Dec 29 12:38:14 UTC 2008

If your worried about the floor loading, transfering some of the weight to
the wall is a good move, so long as you have access load baring wall not a
stud partition. Many people take the wheels off racks before installing them
as this spreads the the load over a larger area however you will not be
moving once you have your stuff in it. Professional movers well put down steel
plates before moving heavy equipement, you could put that under a rack if
your worried about point loading and have a spare to put down if want to
pull it forward. Also work out where your joists are, and put your rack over
as many of them as possible, if you work out the direction they are running
you can put the rack as close as you can to a load bearing wall, so they are
near the start of the joists.

You should not worry to much, have you ever thought how much a fully filled
fridge freezer or a bath full of water+human(s) weights. The biggest
problems most people don't think of are water beds, as many of them have
stands, that point load the floor, and they are carried upstairs without the
water/humans.

50u of equipement, I am impressed, only got 23u of stuff myself 16u of it is
full length, and go for the "big pile" theory of home racking, which is a
pain when you need to get inside a server, personally I find the biggest
problems heat and noise, everything on takes 2-3 KW of power.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk