[Gllug] Blank lines in email headers

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 21:07:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:51:31PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I am beginning to see a few emails which appear to have almost two
> headers with one or two blank lines between them. The latest one appears to
> be from an ADSL customer of virgin.net and I can either show the complete
> double header, or two blank lines and the second section of header as part
> of the email body. My email reader gets confused because the sender,
> subject, time, and date are all below the two blank lines. Is anyone else
> seeing this sort of thing?

I have seen Novell GroupWise 6.5 insert a line containing just a
single tab character into the headers just above the "X-Mailer:"
line when it replied to email containing HTML. It messed up on
most email clients, but relaying via Amavis fixed it.

Probably not the problem here, as I guess you don't send HTML
emails and virgin.net probably doesn't use Groupwise.

If the blank lines are underneath the "Received:" lines then
maybe one of the relaying mail servers is inserting a double
new line character.