[Gllug] Powerline homeplug experiences

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 09:37:12 UTC 2008

On Fri 12 Dec, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone uses / has used powerline homeplug kit and what
> their experience was ?  I have a bunch of really long cables running
> from different parts of the house, and it would be quite nice to replace
> them with something like powerline adapters. But my primary concerns are:
>
> - How 'Linux' compatible are they ? Would I be able to setup passwords
> etc without the need of a Windows machine ?
>
> - Do they really run at advertised speeds ? 40Mbps is quite ok for me,
> but does it really run at 40Mbps.
>
> - KB

   Reports I have seen say that they can work well to anywhere on your side
of the electricity meter, even to an outbuilding, but will not get past the
meter because of the internal inductors. There may be some kinds of power
breaker such as RCCB that could give problems, but I have not been told of
any such problems. Some earlier units have suffered from overheating, and
have been withdrawn.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk