[Gllug] bar code scanner software for linux

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Mon Dec 29 16:49:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 11:27 +0000, David Coles wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008, Justin Perreault wrote:
> > I am trying to track down some bar code scanner software for linux. I am
> > using F9 atm.

> > What I am using is a Swypeout unit.

> By the sounds of it (and I am just guessing here based on what you said)
> if it needs SANE then maybe the device is just some sort of digital camera
> type device and all of the precessing to read the barcode will be done in
> software - somewhat like those barcodes you see in newspapaers which have
> some software which you can download for your phone which will turn it
> into a URL when you snap it. In which case you've probably got some code
> writing to do :(

I am hoping that I can get sane to interface with it but simply getting
the data stream from it will likely be more than enough for my hacking
pleasure.

> If you really need a conventional barcode scanner I have previously got
> Wasp scanners from Ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/44921 for PS2 [I
> think] and http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146529 for USB [which presumably
> acts like a USB keyboard]). These are both around 60 quid, which is really
> quite reasonable for barcode scanners. Certainly with the PS2 ones you
> won't need drivers as it just works like a keyboard, though may well not
> work with PS2/USB adaptors if you need it for a laptop or something.

I don't "need" a barcode scanner. I came across this unit and felt an
overwhelming urge to make it work in ways it was not designed for. With
luck I may even be able to put it to use.

> Hope that is of some help.

It is.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk