[Gllug] scanner wanted

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Feb 5 07:59:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 00:37 +0000, Nix wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2008, Tethys verbalised:
> > Unsurprisingly, though, SCSI interfaces are now only found
> > on high end devices, and the mass market is almost exclusively
> > USB these days.
>
> I'd expect the market for SCSI printers to have been eaten alive by
> networked printers, though. I mean, 10GbE network links are likely to
> eat dedicated internal *disk* busses alive in the next five years or so,

Indeed. Its already happening. I'm planning a 700 node cluster for a big
UK university, where all the applications software will be mounted off a
parallel filesystem. The compute nodes themselves will have a local
disk, and a local install of the OS, but we could run them diskless and
have the whole thing running off disk servers.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk