[Gllug] scanner wanted

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Feb 7 00:57:00 UTC 2008

On 5 Feb 2008, John Hearns outgrape:
> Indeed. Its already happening. I'm planning a 700 node cluster for a big
> UK university, where all the applications software will be mounted off a
> parallel filesystem. The compute nodes themselves will have a local
> disk, and a local install of the OS, but we could run them diskless and
> have the whole thing running off disk servers.

Modulo the whole swap-deadlock thing, of course :) and things might start
getting a bit collisional eventually: that nice fast bus *is* shared,
after all.

(In fact the possibility of deadlock is present whenever you have
writable mmap()ings on networked storage, but it's rare to have very
large writable mappings on such devices.)

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
                                                   describes USENET
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk