[Gllug] Can I link GNU AGPL code with GPL 2 code?

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 14 03:40:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, February 13, 2008 17:15, Progga wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 04:58:02PM +0100, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
>>
>> Therefore you can use GPL v2 or later code in your project, and the AGPL
>> will apply to the combined work as a whole.
>>
>> The LGPL code should cause no problems, as it can be linked with any
>> other
>> code.
>
> Thanks!  I am going for it then :-)  It's relying on several PEAR packages
> but
> PEAR uses the PHP license which sounds more like BSD sans advertising.  So
> hope that's okay as well.

The PHP license might be problematic. The FSF license page says:

 PHP License, Version 3.01

    This license is used by most of PHP4. It is a non-copyleft free
software license. It is incompatible with the GNU GPL because it
includes strong restrictions on the use of "PHP" in the name of
derived products.

    We recommend that you not use this license for anything except PHP
add-ons.

Regards,
Gabriel.
http://lives.sf.net