[Gllug] Can I link GNU AGPL code with GPL 2 code?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Fri Feb 15 00:44:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 04:40 +0100, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> On Wed, February 13, 2008 17:15, Progga wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 04:58:02PM +0100, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> > Thanks!  I am going for it then :-)  It's relying on several PEAR packages
> > but
> > PEAR uses the PHP license which sounds more like BSD sans advertising.  So
> > hope that's okay as well.
> >

> The PHP license might be problematic. The FSF license page says:
>
>  PHP License, Version 3.01
>
>     This license is used by most of PHP4. It is a non-copyleft free
> software license. It is incompatible with the GNU GPL because it
> includes strong restrictions on the use of "PHP" in the name of
> derived products.
>
>     We recommend that you not use this license for anything except PHP
> add-ons.

If it is not incorporating the packages but just linking to them
externally it is likely not an issue, but you would need to include both
licenses when distributing if you ship the packages with. Then each
license would be used applied to each part individually instead of on
both together. iirc

-Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk