[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Ben Whyte ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 22:27:52 UTC 2008

Nix wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2008, Matthew King outgrape:
>> Of course the *best* argument in favour of increasing passenger
>> throughput is to get rid of the bloody barriers completely.
>
> Instead they're putting more in. I'm really looking forward to having to
> use the new-style chew-up-the-ticket barriers in the local-commute area
> of Kings Cross: hint, guys, my ticket cost me well qover three thousand
> pounds and if your ticket machine qchews it up, should you give even a
> *slight* whine about replacing it free of charge I *will* sue you.

One of the reasons for this more barrier approach is the shear number of
people traveling who have not got a ticket and the damage to the profits
of the companies.

Chatting to the guys at the station near work, apparently they put
barriers in at the next station down the line, they paid for themselves
in a week and paid for the member of staff to supervise them as well
while still generating more profit.

As someone who pays > 2500 for his train ticket, I kind of want everyone
to pay so just maybe they will run a service that will work when it
rains or snows or the sun shines, which in all three cases does happen
in London and should not be a suprise.
Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk