[Gllug] pc problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 00:00:06 UTC 2008

On Thu 07 Feb, Chris Bell wrote:

> On Mon 04 Feb, Panos Savvas wrote:
> > Hard to diagnose this i guess:
> >
> > I had a perfectly good linux install running. However I changed cases and
> > all has gone pear shaped.
> >
> > All my partitions seem to have disappeared except /home.
> > I though never mind... lets re-install.. the important stuff is still safe.

Check that the motherboard mounting screws do not short tracks.

Some cases tend to flex when part dismantled and can ping one end of plug-in
cards out of their seating. Try a re-plug of everything, one at a time. Try
to avoid straining the board as it may have dubious soldered joints.

You could try gently cleaning edge connectors using a plastic eraser, one
that does not leave a streak of rubber. Some solvent sprays can get under
gold flashing, evaporate, and lift it away.

Try a different keyboard, the cable may have broken or a key jammed, and if
the BIOS was set to default "Halt on all errors" it will do just that,
immediately.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk